Recent Stories

LOL at Creative

Wednesday, August 29, 2007


Today I got my Creative Zen Micro back from RMA. Vijay knows a guy who knows a guy who's in the Creative company. My Micro has been experiencing head jack problems, the audio only appeared on one side of the earphones and becomes heavily distorted with heavy static noise. I searched thru forums and found out that Creative had problems with the early batches of Micros and this was one of them.

So excited I was to get it back thinking I had my "study companion" back but sitting down and powering up the gadget, I found that the problem was still there! Heck, this unit was there for about a week and the problems is still not fixed. Ugghh...so "putus stim" man...

Then I got home and searched for a solution and to my delight found some guides to repair my unit. So being an engineer...ahem...and trying to act macho...ahem....I chose to take the risk and do it myself.

Ingredients:
  • Creative Zen Micro mp3 player
  • Micro philips screwdriver
  • Tesco flyer
  • Soldering iron (optional)
  • Good amount balls to pry the player open
Now let's get started.
First thing I had to do was to pry open the player. I was trying to be really careful so that I don't destroy any last hopes of fixing me player. Getting the interface and casing apart was a bitch, had to exert some force to push it out. My palms was sweaty and fear of screwing up is in the air~

Done! My player disrobed :D


The mainboard...naked..and we don't need that


This is what I'll be fixing


Or more precisely, screw the board off the casing and this is what I'll be fixing


Next step, tear a small piece of paper from a Tesco flyer and fold it to six layers..


....and place it on the metal casing of the headjack and screw it back on

Another guide says to solder the points connecting the headjack port to the board but I was lazy and went with the folded paper solution. If ever the problem resurface, I'll probably solder it then.
And that's it. Reassembled the player and tested the player. Worked like magic. The audio was clear on both channels and no static distortion present.

I officially fixed my own player!

Wohoo! Now that was self empowering :D I'm listening to it while I construct this post. It only took 30mins for me to fix this while the dudes at Creative held on to my player for a 
week without getting it fixed...another example of "if you want it done, do it yourself". Now I'm thinking of getting some good IEMs or in-ear-phones, like this.

I referred to these sites for the guides to doing this right, in case anyone else is facing the same problem.
Now that it's fixed time to head to the library with a new set of songs and study! Hopefully :x



The only thing is, these 2 clips fell out...any I have no idea where they belong. Hopefully the player doesn't die on me later D:




As told by ciel at 10:40 PM  

2 criticism:

hahaha... I can't believe u fixed your own mp3 player! XD

what would u have done if things went wrong? :P

Anonymous said...
11:56 AM  

imagine sending it to the company thinking you'll get it back working perfectly...it didn't happen to me D: so frustrated, this is the next best thing to smashing it on the floor haha

ciel said...
7:16 PM  

Post a Comment